Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Flesh Eating

Flesh eating bacteria, Flesh eating fish, Flesh eating humans...

Ever feel like your flesh was being eaten away? Necrotizing fasciitis is a bacterial infection. These bacteria attack the soft tissue, usually in an extremity following minor trauma. There are many cases occurring after surgery, and most often abdominal surgery.
The bacteria are introduced from a person carrying Strep Type A or from an area where Strep Type A is present. These bacteria are the same as those that cause "Strep throat." However, there are various strains of the bacteria, some of which are more powerful than others (with stronger m-protein serotypes). The name "flesh-eating-bacteria" is a bit over the top, but essentially, the bacteria do in fact "eat flesh." The bacteria attack the subcutaneous (soft) tissue, which then becomes gangrenous. Infection moves swiftly, usually under the skin, where it is unobservable. Once tissue becomes necrotic (dead), it has to be removed.
Some days this is a reflection of my own circumstances. I awake, exhausted from the emotional drain the taxation of life can slap at me. I feel as if a knawing bacterium has been surviving off my insides and without warning I realize my insides have been vicariously feeding a unannounced invader. The realization becomes epiphany as I look in my mirror and recognize the death of my own hearts tissue. I don’t realize it until the murder has occurred. Too late. Or is it? When life’s weariness seems so strong that we’re barely treading is there another chance to rise above all the conflict and ride with the currant our bodies floating with ease? I think so. As long as we have breath to breathe there is always another chance. At least to take another stroke towards healing. So what’s the best treatment before life devours us from the inside out? Hmmmmmm. You tell me. What is your survival mode? How do you rise above? How do you do more than merely exist until your dead? How do you fight the sometimes unseen battle over your insides?

6 comments:

TravisM said...

I call upon the name of the Lord, the Lord who is mighty to save, slow to anger, and the revealer of truth to all. He is my rock, my foundation, and my sword. In this broken world, it is living by faith in him that brings blessing.

Eat Flesh, Drink Blood said...

Without you coming across this as the holy roller, what do you have to say about people who don't use the same "Lord" to lord over them?

Travis give us some of your TravisM

Melty said...

I think that very one has a survival mode. I think what defines you as living or dying is what you choose to do to get out of just surviving. In all of us is the want and need to change. Were we get stuck is in the qestion "How do I change?". Most try and do not succed on their own. The only way I know how to change is to look beyon myself and seek the one truth. The power that I do not have myself and that I can only get form God.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Deidra (my youngest daughter)indeed HAD flesh eating group A strep two summers ago and still struggles with a connective tissue disorder. Here though is a quote from her testimony which gave as a graduating senior last Sunday:
She shared how she has learned to trust God to keep her safe through all her many illnesses and hospital stays, how to trust Him and not be afraid.
She thanked us her parents, and thanked others for visiting with her when she has been ill, particularly the girls bible study leader, And she ended by saying that there were times when she wanted to give up, but “ I didn’t give up”, she said, “See, I’m standing here today. Because God never gave up on me.” Tiny little Deidra who had to stand on two plant stands to be able to see above the pulpit, with her flaming red hair, smiling while she read her piece.

Her scriptures for the days were: Isaiah 12 :2—“ Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and will NOT be afraid, for the Lord God is my strength and my might; He has become my salvation.” And Hebrews 13:5b-6 – “ I will never leave you or forsake you. So we can say with confidence The Lord is my helper I will not be afraid, what can anyone do to me?”
So when I think of all she has been through in her 18 years (abandonment, 30+ surgeries, multiple hospital stays) and she can stand there and praise God... I can stand with her and say, AMEN.

Anonymous said...

I think we all get hung up on what we can see. DNA is the substance of flesh and blood. If you meld someones DNA with another you get new life. To be a chirstian meens more than just being a Christ follower. You have got to have Him inside your living breathing flesh in reality, literally.

Unknown said...

when your about to be devoured the best thing i believe can be done is to look to the truth. That alone will set you free. As you rely and trust the truth you will see that your nothing but clay in the hands of a compassionate God who is forming inside of you all you will need in this life. God alone will walk with you thru any difficulty you face including insanity. Your rise above by lowering you defense and leting your weak heart get mended in Gods grip.